Design and Implementation of LRS - A Case Study
Conclusions and Future Work
Case study of LRS for district Hamirpur (HP) is implemented successfully. All queries implemented are working properly. Map of a plot is represented as an image using OLE data type. In order to make uniformity in management of land records throughout the country, the proposed nationwide LRS is very useful. The system is suggested for further extension to include information like population, literacy, soil type, crop, sex ratio, rain fall, school, hospital, bank, post office etc. This extended system can be termed as Nationwide Information System to satisfy the needs of district administration, state and central govts. The consistent structure of information can be made with the consultation of district, state and central govt. concerned officials. The system will help to the district administration to have a close watch on balance development of the district. The nationwide latest data will help the governments to make macro level planning for balance development of the country. The accessibility of the system through Internet will solve a number of land disputes generally take place in rural areas of Bihar and Uttar Pradesh. It will also provide transparency in government functioning. The system can also be converted for on line sale and purchase of land through Internet. There is need to have cooperation among various departments of government at different levels to take initiatives for developing Nationwide LRS / Information System.
In context of future work the present case study may be converted into applications as discussed in [21, 22], in context of Indian environment. At present case study implemented does not have internet accessibility. The accessibility of database through internet can be provided by generating web pages dynamically as given in . Instead of writing CGI program to generate HTML code, various forms of annotated HTML embed scripting commands included within an HTML document can be used. The popular approaches PHP, Active Server Pages, JavaServer Pages and Java Servlets are discussed in [15, 16, 17, 18]. In  a survey of tools required for data intensive web applications development is given. In  study is made showing that mod_perl, an Apache Server module can improve performance of CGI script at least 10 times by making persistent database connection. FastCGI  is also a solution to improve the performance of CGI.
The authors would like to thank Vikas, Aditya and Mahindra for collecting data and concerned district officials for cooperating them.
- GIS @ development, April 2000, Vol. I V issue 4. (Monthly magazine published on behalf of Centre for Spatial Database management and Solutions, F-82, Sector XI, Noida 201 301, India)
- A. Frank "Application of DBMS to Land Information Systems" , Proc. 7th Int. Conf. VLDB, Cannes, France, 1981, pp 448-453.
- Toby J. Teorey, Dongqing Yang, James P. Fry "A Logical Design Methodology for Relational Databases Using the Extended Entity-Relational Model", Computing Survey.Vol. 18, No.2, June 1986, pp 197-221.
- Victor M.Markowitz, Arie Shoshani "Representing Extended Entity-Relationship structures in Relational Databases : A Modular Approach", ACM Transactions on Database Systems, Vol. 17, No.3, September 1993, pp 423-464.
- PP Chen, "The Entity-Relationship Model - Towards a Unified View of Data" ACM Transactions on Database Systems, Vol. 1, No. 1, March 1976, pp 9-36.
- Piero Fraternali "Tools and Approaches for Developing Data-Intensive Web Applications : A Survey" , ACM Computing Surveys, Vol 31, No. 3, Sept 1999, pp 227-263.
- D Florescu, A Levy, A Mendelzon "Database Techniques for the World-Wide Web : A Survey", SIGMOD Record, Vol 27, No. 3, Sept 1998, pp 59-74.
- Alexandros Labrinidis, Nick Roussopoulos "Generating dynamic content at database-backed web servers: cgi-bin vs mod_perl" SIGMOD Record, Vol 29, No. 1, March 2000, pp 26-31.
- TamNguyen, V. Srinivasan "Accessing Relational Databases from the World Wide Web", SIGMOD 96, Montreal, Canada, pp 529-540.
- Stefano Ceri, Piero Fraternali, Stefano Paraboschi "Design Principles for Data-Intensive Web Sites" , SIGMOD Record, Vol 28, No.1, March 1999, pp 84-89.
- Stefano Ceri, Piero Fraternali, Stefano Parabochi "Data Driven One-to-One Web Site Generation for Data-Intensive Applications", Proceedings of 25th VLDB Conference, Edinburgh, !999.
- Michael Bohlen, Linas Bukauskas Dyrenson "The Jungle Database Search Engine", SIGMOD 99, Philadelphia PA, pp 544-586.
- AthmanBouguttaya, Boualem Benatallah, Lily Hendra, James Beard, Kevin Smith, Mourad Quzzani "World Wide Database- Integrating the Web, Corba and Databases", SIGMOD 99, Philadelphia PA, pp 594-596.
- David Ritter "The Middleware Muddle", SIGMOD Record, Vol 27, No. 4, Dec 1998, pp 86-93.
- php hpme page http:// www.php.net
- Active Server Pages help pages http://www.4guysfromrolla.com
- Java Server Pages http://java.sun.com/products/jsp
- Java Servlets API http://java.sun.com/products/servlet
- FastCGI home page http://www.fastcgi.com
- S K Jain, B D Chaudhary, M M Gore "Database for Moving Vehicles in Context of Indian
- Environment", The Journal of the Computer Society of India, Vol. 30, No. 3, Sept 2000.
- Guido Bolatto, Adriano Sozza, Ivano Gauna and Maddalena Rusconi "The Geographic
Information System (GIS) to Turin Municipality", LNCS Vol. 1765, pp 97-109.
- Ding Peng, Mao Wei liang, Rao Ruo Nan, Sheng Huan Ye, Ma Fan Yuan, Toru Ishida "Digital City Shanghai : Towards Integrated Information & Service Environment", LNCS Vol. 1765, pp 125-139.
- Elmasei, Navathe "Fundamentals of Database Systems", second edition, Addition-Wesley, 1994.
- Peter Norten, Virginia, Andersen "Peter Norton's Guide to Access 2000 Programming", Techmedia, 2000.